The Hospital Sisters of St. Francis is an international religious community, which follows in the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi. The members are committed to sharing in the healing mission of Jesus. The congregational headquarters is located in Muenster, Germany where a General Council exercises its responsibility for the religious life and business of all members throughout the world.
Sister M. Margarete Ulager, OSF (pictured left) was elected General Superior during the 2018 General Chapter. Sister Margarete was born on November 4, 1956. She professed First Vows with the German Province of the Hospital Sisters on May 1, 1981 and Final Vows on July 2, 1985. She holds a diploma in nursing and served more than 20 years as a nurse in ICU, Anesthesia, and Nursing Administration. From 1997-2001, she served on the Provincial Council of the German Province and since 2001 she has served as General Treasurer of the interntional Congregation. She received a master's degree in global management from the University of Salford Manchester im 2018.
To visit the Generalate website, click here.
2019 marks the 175th anniversary of the founding of the Hospital Sisters of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis.
This graphic was designed by Sister M. Theodora (Japan Province) and will be displayed throughout the year in various ways including as a flag on a new flagpole at Convent Entrance and on the flagpole at Chiara Center.
The central image of the graphic is Our Lady of Grace Chapel (Telgte, Germany) where Father Christopher Bernsmeyer, OFM, welcomed young women to begin their life of caring for the sick on July 2, 1844. Surrounding the Chapel are the flags where the Sisters have a Province: Germany (since 1844), Poland (since 1849), USA (since 1875), Japan (since 1948), and India (since 1973).